Buffer Cache performance

From: Julio Gosmaalho <jgosmaalho_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 14:02:27 -0000

Hi guys.

In a Oracle 7.3 DB because of its slow performance i ran several scripts and I found that the buffer hit ratio is the worst value ( about 50%). All the other values ,redo, rollback segment, latch contention data dictionary, etc were ok (except library cache that needs a little adjustment - I think...).

So I increased the init.ora parameter from 200 DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS from 200 to 30.000, gradually - the memory of the NT Server allows that.

RESULT - I only saw a benefit of 3% on the eficiency of the Buffer Cache !!!!!!!

Is true that if the applications use full table scans, the buffer cache isnt used ?

The strange thing is that in another site we have the same applications, same machine, with the same database and now the same parameters and the performance is good.

Do you have any idea about it ??

TIA CC Received on Sun Oct 31 1999 - 08:02:27 CST