Re: help: bottleneck because Oracle db exists ob only one hd

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:11:57 GMT

In article <7vb3rj$fmi$1_at_news.rp-plus.de>,   "Dechi" <rp44905_at_online-club.de> wrote:
> hello,
> our Oracle 8 db exists on one hd. a supporter tells me that it is
better to
> put it on more
> hd's.(Probably 7 to 14) how can i do this with Oracle 8 and HP-Unix ?
> I need help very fast.
> thank you

What is an hd? Hard Disk, Disk Head?

It is best to distribute your Oracle database accross as many disks as available providing your application is not something trivial that a one disk setup is OK for. At the very least you need two disks so that one set of redo logs and your archive logs can be on a separate disk from the rest of the database to support forward recovery.

Generally you can build a production ready fully forward recoverable database with three disks. As the total quanity of data in the database grows you need to add more disks, and as the user load grows you need more disk to allow seperation of tables and their indexes.

You spread the database accross disks by allocating files on the disks via the "create tablespace xx datafile '/disk1/dbname/filename' size xxM; " command.

I hope I did not totaly miss your request.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 29 1999 - 08:11:57 CDT