Re: File placement with 3 hard drives?

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:10:10 GMT

Hi,

 tough question - requirements are different for each site.

 in general, you should have
 index/tables/online redo on different disks.

 system/tools is usually not critical.
 temp/rollback is application dependend. they may or may not become  an i/o bottleneck.

 page-files should not be critical - perhaps on a different disk than online-redo. If you get into paging you should probably reduce  sga size or db_block_buffers.

 archived redo is not i/o critical, just make sure, you have enough space for two or three days worth of redo. (if you are doing daily hot backups) Consider putting archive logs on a os-compressed disk if you don't have enough space.

I'd put oracle software together with system and tools tablespaces on the same disk with os and pagingspace. (c: or d:)

this all is assuming your application is i/o bound, what tends to be the case for most sites.

you should watch your system for a while and modify the configuration if you identify bottlenecks.

hope that helps

Karsten

In article <HTKR3.774$23.59227_at_typ11.nn.bcandid.com>,   "Yev" <yev_at_NOnetideaSPAM.com> wrote:
> We have an NT 4.0 Server with 3 "logical" hard drives (3 x 2 drive
hardware
> RAID 1).
>
> Drive are configured as such:
>
> 0 - C: 2GB D: 7GB
> 1 - E: 9GB
> 2 - F: 9GB
>
> C: is obviously for NT boot & system
>
> What about the following:
> Page File(s) ? - create 3 over D:, E: & F:?
> Oracle S/W?
> Archive Logs?
> Exports?
> Redo Logs A
> Redo Logs B
> Redo Logs C
> Data TS
> System TS
> Tools TS
> Index TS
> Rollback TS
> Temp TS
>
> I'm only looking for an educated guess.
>
> TIA
>
> Yev

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 29 1999 - 08:10:10 CDT