How to give hints about indizes ??

From: Michael Keppler <Michael.Keppler_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:34:33 +0200

Hello everyone !

I'm more an application programmer than a database admin and I recognized that some of my queries execute faster when I use

and column<some_parameter+1
and column>some_parameter-1

instead of
and column=some_parameter

on an indexed integer column

I guess it's because the optimizer tries to use an index on that column in the second solution. I know that this column isn't very selective (maybe I select about 30% of all values), so it would be better if the optimizer would use an index on another column (the query is about 50 or more lines). How can I tell the optimizer not to use an index on that column in this query ?
And is there a possibility to automatically test some variations of different optimizations so I can see which is the fastest ? And where can I find out more about hints for the optimizer in general ? Are there some good web pages ?

Ciao and Thanks, Michael.

--
Michael Keppler, MCSE, MCP+I
IT logic GbR