Re: Q: "Autorollback" after raise_application_error()

From: Gombos Bertalan <bgombos_at_freemail.c3.hu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:04:36 +0200

Hi,

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> A copy of this was sent to Gombos Bertalan <bgombos_at_freemail.c3.hu>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:48:37 +0200, you wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> > When I call a stored procedure from OCI, Oracle generates a savepoint to
> >begin of the procedure. If I issue a raise_application_error() and this
> >error reaches the caller environment (Power Builder), Oracle gives a
> >rollback to the former savepoint.
> > Is it possible to prevent Oracle from rollbacking?
> >
> >Bye:
>
> catch the exception in the stored procedure and handle it there. If the
> exception is allowed to propagate to the top level -- the work is (correctly)
> rolled back. If you catch and handle the exception (eg: Ignoring it is one way
> of 'handleing' it), then the client will not rollback to savepoint since the
> procedure was 'successful'.

My question is misunderstood. I do want to keep the updates performed within the scope of the procedure by which the exception is raised. I want to make it the caller's (PowerBuilder) responsibility to decide, whether to commit or rollback. I do not want to use any other communication method between PL/SQL and PowerBuilder, because the concerned stored procedures are also invoked by other system components (out of my control).

Bye:
--

    .---,                            G o m b o s  B e r t a l a n
    :   :