Re: ORA-27100 cleanup failed instance's SGA?

From: Mike Philippens <mphilipp_at_oracle-home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:30:03 GMT

Simeon Bailey wrote:
> I have an instance that was not properly shut down and the error msg
> I recieve is ORA-27100.
> ORA-27100: shared memory realm already exists
> Cause: An attempt was made to either start duplicate instances, or to
> restart an instance that had not been properly shut down.

Simeon,

I think I know the cure for your problem. First of all: make a backup of your entire database, ini files, redo log, the whole works before you do anything. It can't get any worse than this. If you do something, like recover and you haven't got a backup and it fails, you're up sh*&$ creek. You have to understand what's happened here: When the instance crashed, it left some of the Oracle processes running. So now you try to restart the database, and it can't initialize the SGA because it is already there. There is only one thing you can do, and that is a SHUTDOWN ABORT. This kills all the processes that run your database. You might have to do a STARTUP FORCE after that. If the database is up and running, do a normal shutdown and a normal startup again. This is not really necessary, but I always see it as an extra test and it cleans up any redo logs and stuff like that. If you want to know why it crashed, you should look in the (user) dump directory and check out the alert logs. A crash like this must leave it's mark somewhere and the alert.log will point to a logfile of the specific process that had a problem. Maybe there was something wrong whith the system and it might happen again. Let me know if it worked.

Kind regards

Mike Philippens

Mike F.M.Philippens
Oracle-Home