Re: ORA-12154: Puzzle

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:18:59 -0700

Mark Brayshaw wrote:

> Gentlebeings,
> I'm having a problem with TNS not being able to resolve a
> service name and I cannot understand why.
> I have an Oracle 8.0.4 database running on Solaris 2.7, with a listener
> defined and running. I've used the Net* installer to set up the server side.
> On an NT4 client machine, I've installed SQLPlus 8.0 and Net8.
> I've used the Net8 Assistant to set up my network coms, and used Net8 Easy
> config to set up and verify my Tnsnames.ora file.
> Using Net8 Easy Config I have run a connection test to my server database
> and the test returned OK.
> When I attempted to connect to the database using SQLPlus with a valid
> username and password, I got the ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve server
> name.
> I've used TNSPING80 to check that the connection to the listener is okay,
> and it is.
> I rechecked the easy config to retest connection to the database using a
> valid user and password and it worked. I then tried an invalid password and
> the test returned an ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied -
> which is what I expected.
> Logging on with SQLPlus still gets the ORA-12154 !!!
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Mark Brayshaw
> Consultant,
> Interim Technology
> Level 4, 11 Harvest Terrace, West Perth WA 6005, AUSTRALIA
> Perth: Ph: +61 8 9481 0488 Fax: +61 8 9481 6576
> mailto:markbrayshaw_at_interim.com
> http://www.interimtechnology.com.au
>
> Transforming the way people work with technology with
> PERFORMANCE - TEAMWORK - LEARNING - INNOVATION - INTEGRITY

What version of sql*plus? Plus33, plus33w, plus80 or plus80w? The 33 versions use net2.3, for which your net config files are in a different location than net8.
Set the tns_admin variable to point to the net80 directory. For NT, that would be in the registry, HKLM\Software\Oracle. The value would be x:\orant\net80\admin (x being your oracle drive)

--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500 Received on Fri Oct 29 1999 - 14:18:59 CDT