Re: New Oracle Server/Instance/Database...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:22:24 +0200

You created the instance only. If you want to do it this way you need to set oracle_sid env var to the sid of the new instance, start svrmgr30
issue connect internal
issue startup nomount
issue your own create database statement.

Basically the instance manager has a gui and a dos operation mode. Running it in gui mode WILL create a database. You need to have a correct init<sid>.ora before you do that.

You probably would be better off using the Oracle Database Assistant (yes, I know there are lots of assistants which veterans like me would like to have had years ago. But then the disadvantage is IMO people don't know anymore what they are doing). Anyway, the Database Assistant will guide you completely through the process.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA