Re: Access database to Oracle database???

From: Alan Shein <alanshein_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:18:01 -0400

hi ! Brian

I am having the same problems and i discovered the same way to do it. Only i am able to successfully link tables but the export does not seem to work.

The funny thing is that on using this export functionalitu access tells me that it has made tha table and so does the ODBC tool (i use this to look at databases and do general queries via odbc). But it has not really done that, since when i use SQL plus it says that the table does not exist. Same problem when i try to query on the table via this odbc tool. My guess was that the access function via odbc are not really tapping the error obtained from oracle (with respect to being unable to make the table) but then i may be wrong.

Any guesses as to what might be happening. <<

When you create a table through ODBC, the naming is case-sensitive. In other words, if you created a table called "mytable", and then try to find it with sqlplus, you need to tyoe the name in lower case and enclose it in quotes. For example:

DESCRIBE mytable

won't work, but

DESCRIBE "mytable"

will work. You'll need to remember exactly how you typed in the name of the table via Access. Also, you will want to rename the table to all uppercase, or your life will be miserable, as you will always have to refer to as "mytable" otherwise. Received on Thu Oct 28 1999 - 13:18:01 CDT