Re: truncate problem

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 28 Oct 1999 17:03:34 GMT

kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no> wrote in message news:3816E7CE.D4DDAD11_at_fast.no...
> I forgot to mention that I have followed the 'Action' instructions from
> the 'oerr ora 02266' statement:
>
> *Action: Before performing the above operations the table, disable the
> // foreign key constraints in other tables. You can see what
> // constraints are referencing a table by issuing the following
> // command:
> // SELECT * FROM USER_CONSTRAINTS WHERE TABLE_NAME = "tabnam";
>

> but the above query returns an empty set of data.

This is not the currect way. Use the following statement to find out the correct referencing tables.

select owner, table_name, constraint_name from all_constraints   where (r_owner, r_constraint_name) in     (select owner, constraint_name
      from all_constraints where table_name='HEADLINE');

> kev wrote:
>
> > I've just tried to do a truncate on a table, but get this error:
> >
> > ORA-02266: unique/primary keys in table referenced by enabled foreign
> > keys
> >
> > The table was created like this:
> >
> > create table headline
> > (
> > id number(10) primary key,
> > headline varchar2(200),
> > url varchar2(200),
> > grabtime number(15),
> > comments varchar2(200),
> > lang number(4),
> >
> > constraint fk_headline_lang
> > foreign key (lang)
> > references language (id)
> > );
> >
> > Is the constraint causing the problem? No row in the headline table has
> > any value in the lang column.

The ora-2266 error is not caused by the constraint of this table, but the constraint of other table.
Since the headline table has a "child" table, it can not be truncated when the foreign key is enabled. Received on Thu Oct 28 1999 - 12:03:34 CDT