Re: Oracle partitioning

From: Neil Cudd <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:57:22 +0100

Without knowing what queries are to be run and how you intend to partition your data then it really is an open ended question. Example :

You have an historical sales table, with a primary key :

Customer
Product
Date

you could partition the data on the date field: maybe have 12 partitions across separate devices, each partition holding a separate month. This spreads i-o and reduces your partitions to manageable chunks. If, however, the major part of the analysis of this data is done per time period, that is you run monthly reports, then the partitioning is not so effective because the report you run for any given month is accessing one partition only. So maybe you should think about partitioning on 'arbitrary' columns that provide a more randomised i-o sweep .. or maybe not .. it depends too much on what the data is and what applications are going to access it and how.

The simple answer is : Partitioning provides benefits for handling large tables but those benefits are directly proportional to amount of up front analysis you do re data and application access. Same as ever.

There are no easy answers .. no matter how simple the question is.

Hope this helps.

Neil