Re: Permanent disk writing

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:36:23 GMT

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:35:30 GMT, akats53_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>The DBWR normally writes every 3 seconds (time out).
>So does the LGWR and neither one depends on fact whether or not you
>have any activities

Yes, but if there is no activity in the database, there could be no changes in the log buffers and database buffers, so LGWR and DBWR should have nothing to write to disks! I would be highly suspicious about disk lights flashing every second on an idle database server....

So if there aren't any extremely frequent periodical dbms_jobs starting every second (very unlikely) I would check the frequency of checkpoints in the database. Look for "DBWR checkpoints" statistics in V$SYSSTAT. If I'm not mistaken, there were releases where setting LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL to 0 could cause extremely frequent checkpoints.

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 14:36:23 CDT