Do I need backup rollback segement tablespace and temporary table ?

From: Dong Tang <tangd_at_ctcdist.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:54:30 -0500

Hi:

I have a 250Gb database which is required to be up 24 by 7. So I have to do online backup. And this database is extremely volatile. So it have a very big temporary tablespace and a very big rollback segment tablespace ( I have a tablepspace contains and only contains all rollback segments except system rollback segment). It also generates about 5 to 10 Gb archived redo logs per day, which I have to backup to tape. As our backup device is very slow, I want to backup as less as possible.

Here is my question: do I have to backup the temporary table and rollback segment tablespace?

Since I back up each tablespace at different time, it seems to me, what is the rollback segment is useless when we do recover, and same reason to temporary tablespace?
Am I right?

Please send email to tangd_at_ctcdist.com. Any opinion are appreciated.

Dong Tang Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 10:54:30 CDT