Re: Oracle partitioning

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:10:54 +0200

kachkar_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <7v609f$833$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>I have some simple questions :
>How effective is the partitioning ?

As effective as the implementation of it.

>If I implemented it, Is it going to cut down the query time by 100% ?

Very unlikely.

>I would like to here from anybody who used it , and how fast is the
>performance before and after using the partitioning…

Ah.. this question makes more sense. However, the answer IMHO will still be meaningless with regards to your situation.

There are no hard and fast rules in database systems. There's no magic wand solutions that always work and always provide huge performance increases. There are too many factors that are unique to every situation.

To partition or not to partition can only really be answered by investigating the data you want to partition, how these partition tables are to be populated, updated and maintained, what type of queries are run, and so on.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 04:10:54 CDT