Re: Interbase to Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:45:48 +0200

Paul Cardwell wrote in message
<3c1R3.8718$G6.778057_at_news0.telusplanet.net>...

>I have a substantial amount of code (Delphi) that I developed with
>Interbase but I now need to go live into Oracle. The problem, Oracle
>prefixes all the tables with the owner name...is there a way not to
>have this prefix when making the tables? My sys admin says no.

Pheefft.. what does sys admins know beside how to boot a server. And then they even get that wrong on occasion.. like running a mainframe ipl loader with a F (First Start) parameter thinking it means "fast start" and re-initialising the entire system and wiping all the disks... And don't even get me started on so-called NT "sys admins"....

Yes you can. There's two methods to skin this cat.

  1. If you connect as user SCOTT you do not need to prefix any of the tables belong to Scott with an owner name.
  2. Oracle synonyms. If you are connected as SCOTT and need to access MARY's table, you can access them via synonyms. Instead of coding MARY.ZIP_CODES in a TQuery.SQL you can access it as ZIP_CODES provided that you (SCOTT) has select privs on the table and the synonym ZIP_CODES has been created for MARY.ZIP_CODES. Synonyms can also be created as public or private. It the DBA gives you hassles, simply ask him to create private synonyms for your Delphi software's Oracle userid so as not to "clutter" the public area with all these synonyms.

<humming> I shot the sysadmin, but I did not kill the DBA...

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 03:45:48 CDT