ora-01034 : oracle not available

From: Dominic Cribbin <dominic.cribbin_at_cognotecSTOPSPAM.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:21:02 +0100

I have two databases on a SUN Solaris machine running UNIX. Yesterday I had to move the SUN machine to another location in the building. I shutdown both databases correctly.

After the move I was able to start Database A correctly but I got an error Database B "ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode". This error tells me that there is another instance using this database ...

So when I try to shutdown Database B I get the error "ORA-01034 : Oracle not available".

I would like to know :
A. what is happening to Database B.
B. is there a way in either UNIX or ORACLE to show what machine/user has this instance running.
C. is there anyway I can manual force an instance to shutdown when I cannot do it already from the Sun machine ...
D. what might have caused this to happen i.e. was there some one connected to the original instance (before moving the machine !!) that may have held a lock or some thing !!!

I would be very greatfull if you any one could help me with this one .... many thanks in advance.

Dominic Received on Wed Oct 27 1999 - 06:21:02 CDT