Re: rollback segment and import

From: NeilC <neilc-olops_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:33:56 +0100

Hi Thomas,

as I see it you have 2 options :-

  1. use the commit=y option with the buffer option set appropriately when using import. This will then commit changes once buffer has been reached, as opposed to at the end of each table. This however will impact the performance of the import because the LGWR process will be writing the commit record to the log file on disk at every commit, thus increasing i/o.
  2. The alternative, is to ensure you have a large rollback segment, and then to ensure that this is the only rollback segment online during the import.

Your choice depends on whether there will be other transactions on the system at the time of the import, and whether you have the space for a large enough tablespace etc.

HTH NeilC