Re: using Oracle 7 export against an Oracle8 database

From: James Hanway <hanwayj_at_dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:01:10 GMT

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of these ideas:

  1. Create a SQL*NET from the v7 db to the v8 db (may have to set up a common account/password for the link). Once the connection is established, in the v7 database, make a SYNONYM for the remote v8 table using a DB Link and do a "CREATE TABLE AS (SELECT * FROM <synonym>)".

or

2) Do a "SELECT *" in the v8 database, spool it to a file, and SQL*LOAD it into the v7 table.

Personally, I'd choose 1).