[Fwd: Order by non-base table item in Forms 4.5]

From: Scott Haas <haas_at_scpa.sri.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:54:38 -0400

  I just want to clarify the situation I have and make sure that we are on the wave length - I have about 7 fields that are part of a base table. The 8th field is a non-base table item, however, it is calculated using fields from the base table fields. In addition to sorting (ordering by) the base table fields,

I want to be able to sort on the non-base table item.   So, after the query is made and all of the rows have been returned, and th non-base table item is calculated, I call this database function. I'm not sure I understand what this database function is doing or returning. Can you clarify this a little. How does returning a particular column value corresponding to a non base item help to sort the records. Do you have to use some type of array to sort these records ?   I've been away from this form for awhile, so that's why I'm asking this again.
  One of my collegues has suggested using arrays to sort the info during the execution of the query. However, with this method, you have to make the block a non-base block. I want to avoid method if I can. A lot of the functionality of the base block is lost by doing this.   Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Scott