HELP! illegal use of LONG datatype and recreating a table

From: Andrew Williamson <andrewweb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:03:20 +0100

HELP! I tried using TOAD to redefine a table as it had reached it's maxextents. I ran the script through SQLPLUS to step through a line at a time. It locked the original, renamed it, created the new table with the same structure and failed on the insert with a message like:

ERROR at line xx:
ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype

There is a LONG field in it, but if I can't select it into the new table, how do I coalesce these table extents? So, in the meantime, I went to look at the original, renamed table and found no data in it - where did it go? All that happened on it was it got locked and renamed. Nothing anywhere to denote a deletion...

Please help if you can.

Andrew Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 12:03:20 CDT