Re: Star Schemas ! What are they ??

From: Neil Cudd <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:55:04 +0100

Star schemas are a design tool used primarily for Data Warehouse/Marts and are based on the premise that a Fact Table (a table that holds the measurable - sales or tonnes or elephants) has a direct relationship with many Dimension tables (tables that hold Customers or Products). If you place a fact table in the middle a relationship can be drawn (literally in all of the Data Warehousing books you're likely to read) directly to 4 or 5 Dimension tables creating a 'star' effect. Then theres snowflaking and all that 'flaky' stuff !

Best get a Data Warehousing book .. sorry I can't recommend one ...