Re: Index Performance

From: Neil Cudd <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:48:33 +0100

Generally, tablespaces are used as a means to distribute data across devices i.e. Tables on one disk and indicies on the other. Given this configuration, an insert into a table and the subsequent update of the index can happen asynchronously. If the table and index are on the same device then the two operations must happen serially, hence poorer performance.

Raid arrays .. boon or bane ? Discuss.