Re: newbie questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:21:29 +0200

1 the latter. The only thing you really need is the tablespace SYSTEM, and a second rollback segment in that tablespace. 2 Yes, but the exact steps depends on whether you want to do relocation of files. If there's not any relocation, backup and restore the data and the software. Make sure you make a backup of the registry tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\oracle (and ALL it's subkeys) and import that to the registry of the new server.
If there is relocation you need to issue alter database backup controlfile to trace in svrmgr<xx> on the old system.
The trace file will go into the directory pointed by user_dump_dest. You will need to edit that file, changing filenames and follow the instructions in that file.
3 Export/import, the only other way is using a database link, and use the COPY sql*plus statement. Probably this is proving to be very cumbersome.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA