Re: Hot backup questions

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:56:03 GMT

Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> Tablespaces in backup mode are not out of sync, so they have no need to
> resync when they are taken out of backup mode. Blocks are written to
> the datafiles during backup mode as they are during normal operation.

Is this true? Blocks are written to the datafiles during backup mode? If so, then the datafile is changed while it is being backed up resulting in an invalid backup of the datafile. If memory serves me right, while a tablespace is in backup mode, any changes to it are written to the redo logs. And the changes are written a block at a time. This means that the redo logs might fill up faster if there is high volume. After the tablespace is taken out of backup mode, the changes are then applied to the datafiles.

HTH,
Brian Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 07:56:03 CDT