Re: Rebuild Index

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:02:47 -0400

Gregory P Lechkun wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I'm using Oracle V7.3.2.3 and I decide to rebuild and index. I use the
> following statement:
> ALTER INDEX cedi_pk REBUILD;
> And what happens? It rebuilds it but it rebuilds it in my account's
> default tablespace (cel_d)!
> I had heard of V7.3.4 doing that so, this is my question: What versions
> is this problem in, and is it fixed in Oracle 8.0+?
>
> Of course the work around for now is to use the following statement:
> ALTER INDEX cedi_pk REBUILD TABLESPACE cel_i;

What you describe is the normal behavior. It won't change. If you create an object it will be created in the default tablespace for the user unless you explicitly specify another tablespace. So, the change you made is not a work-around, it is the proper way to ensure that the object is created in the tablespace that you intend. Received on Tue Oct 26 1999 - 07:02:47 CDT