Re: Restoring a database (7.3.4.0.0)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:09:20 +0200

Theoretically you'll need for a full restore of Oracle only (so excluding the O/S)
The Oracle software
On NT: The registry (otherwise you will be forced to reinstall), On Unix all Oracle related files from /var/opt/oracle (Solaris) /etc (all other ports) The controlfiles
The init<sid>.ora (and config<sid>.ora) The online redo log files
The database files
On NT make sure you have the complete %ORACLE_HOME%\database directory, including the hidden password file.
It may be beneficial to organize the backup tape in separate backup sets:

- one set for the O/S
- one set for the Oracle software
- one set for database/instace related files.
Search time in tape backupsets is usually high, this may speed up the restore, as specifying the correct backup set will make the restore skip several sets.

Note: If your backup has been successfull, you can delete any archived redo logfile, as the database is consistent. You should check that programatically if possible (return code from backup sw). Also you should make a backup WITH verify. It happened to me several times a backup without verify was useless, though the job exited normally.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA