Re: Invalid objects

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 26 Oct 1999 02:00:10 GMT

Margaret -
The quick answer is LOTS OF THINGS! :-) The important part is there is extremely little impact on the applicatoin. When the app accesses an invalid object it will re-compile it automaticallly. As long as it re-compiles successfully there is only a small performance issues while the re-compile takes place.
What causes it to be invalid - something changed. for instance - Procedure A accesses view G. View G changes which invalidates Procedure A.
There are views/tables that provide dependance information which can be very valuable in figuring out what affect changeing an object will have.
See USER_DEPENDENCIES and script UTLDTREE.SQL found in rdbms/admin. The script creates several nice objects - my favorite is ideptree which is an indented list. Becca

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6332&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6321 Received on Mon Oct 25 1999 - 21:00:10 CDT