Re: Running mts on Oracle 8 onNT 4.0 sp4?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:00:38 -0700

David

It would be best if you told us WHICH MTS you mean. I assume from the email you mean Multi-Threaded Server, not Microsoft Transaction Server, so the rest of my answer is predicated on that basis.

All releases of Oracle8 allow you to run MTS on NT, so from 8.0 up you can do it. Would you need to in the majority of cases? No, because the OS is already multi-threaded. When I asked the developers why this was added, I was told we had clients who wanted to have 4000+ users on a single NT box, and that's why it was done. Of course, I'd have to question the wisdom (if not the sanity) of such a request, but that's my personal viewpoint, not Oracle's!

The only situations I can think of that you'd really be interested in using MTS on NT is when you want to run Connection Manager. The Connection Manager architecture is based on MTS, and it's a requirement for running Connection Manager.

HTH. Pete