Re: import question!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 07:17:27 GMT

On 25 Oct 1999 07:04:24 GMT, "Dennis" <echome_at_ms16.hinet.net> wrote:

>Dear all,
> Our database has a schema which contains more than 1GB data. I
>exported it to a dump file, and then imported this dump file to another
>database schema without importing rows . But it still took more than 1GB
>storage space. That makes me confused. Does anyone know how to prevent it?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance.
>
>Dennis

This depends. Oracle doesn't allocate storage on the fly. Storage is pre-allocated and specified in your create table statements. If the initial storage is already above 1 G, not importing table data will not help.
On the other hand, what could have happened is you exported everything with compress_extents=Y (which is BTW the default). In this particular case Oracle creates an initial extent per table as big as currently allocated storage.
You could try to re-export with compress=N, and import again, and see what happens.
Also, an analyze schema will so in user_tables how much empty space you have IN your tables.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Oct 25 1999 - 02:17:27 CDT