Re: SQL Puzzle: Selecting top highest paid workers

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:55:43 -0400

A copy of this was sent to jmodic_at_src.si (Jurij Modic) (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:54:03 GMT, you wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 10:37:21 -0400, "Van Messner"
><vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have a version 7 or 8 here to play with but I'm surprised. What
>>has Oracle changed in version 8i in terms of basic SQL queries? I can
>>understand different optimizations and so on, but I hadn't heard that they'd
>>altered what was acceptable in plain old SQL.
>>
>>Van
>
>Thomas pointed out one of the new SQL features in 8i (ORDER BY inside
>a view). However you did not use this kind of construct in your query,
>so this is not where you query would fail in pre-8i releases.

sorry -- the query they referred to wasn't in the post, i figured by the subject, it must have been that (order by in a subquery)... however...

>You used another new 8i SQL feature that was not allowed in earlier
>release: the use of a select clause in a column list:
>
>SELECT col1, col2,
> (SELECT colx FROM ... WHERE ...) -- this is only allowed in 8i
>FROM ...

Now, that one is a new one on me :)

It actually works. Its not documented AFAIK but it works. I'll bug the doc to get it documented.

>HTH,
>Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
>Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)
>The above opinions are mine and do not represent
>any official standpoints of my employer

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Oct 24 1999 - 18:55:43 CDT