RE: Rollback segments - Is it better to have 2 or 10 extents

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 13:58:11 +1000

Hi Jonathan,

I've just checked this at 8.1.5, and multiple transactions can write into the same extent concurrently. I've also just checked some old dumps that I have from 7.2, and the same was true then. In fact, I don't think that this argument for more extents in a rollback segment has been valid since 7.0 at least.

Maybe a better argument for more than 2 extents in a rollback segment is the proportion of undo available for the construction of consistent read images immediately after a wrap - for 2 extents it is only 50% of capacity, whereas for 10 extents it is 90%.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/