Please HELP !! Serious trouble with cold recovery.

From: Thanasis Siozos <tm_hy_at_anko.gr>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 23:22:46 +0300

Please help me, my job depends on this and I am desperate :((

I had a disk failure in the disk that the ORACLE datafiles are stored. The only backup I have is a copy of the data files/control files etc. from the \orant\database directory.

After I changed the disk, I am trying to restore the database in the same
path with the same names, SIDs etc. The database services start OK but when I try to start the instance from Instance Manager I get the error:

ORA-01113: file 3 needs media recovery. ORA-01110: data file 3: 'D:\ORANT\DATABASES\USR1ANKO.ORA'

Now, I am sure that the USR1ANKO.ORA file is the original, since I unpacked it from a zip
file.

When I was taking the backup, I was just copying the *.ORA files while the database was still running (silly me). Perhaps this is the problem.

Is there a way to restore the original database even to a minimum level so I can
extract the data? I don't want to make the database work again. All I want
is to extract the data somehow.

Since I am really desperate here, please help me.

If I send the files to ORACLE support do you think they can recover the data?

My setup:
Windows NT 4.0 (SP3), NTFS file system
ORACLE 8.0 Thanasis
ANKO SA
Kozani, Greece Received on Sat Oct 23 1999 - 15:22:46 CDT