Re: OPS/OLTP Bad Idea???

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:51:06 +0800

Chakravarthy KM Nalamotu wrote:

> We are currently investigating High Availability (365X7X24)
> option for an OLTP application.
> We heard some emphatic NO's for OPS configuration.
> The argument was that OPS is a good solution for Data
> Warehouse solutions but not for OLTP. Since OPS
> adds a lot of overhead managing locks, and adds
> extra I/O to the system.
> Can someone share their experiences in configuring
> a Highly Available OLTP system on Oracle DB.

See Johnathons post about OPS...

I've worked on a compromise solution -

two servers - one runs the db (and hence owns the db disks), the other runs the app talking sqlnet. in the event of failure, either machine can run both app and the database...

the config we had was sun 6500's and failover detection was about 10 mins and failover time was about 2 mins.

--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Oct 22 1999 - 05:51:06 CDT