Too much swapping with Oracle7 on NT

From: Julia Paul <J.Paul_at_cli.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:43:52 +0100

Hi!

We're running Oracle 7.3.4 on NT 4.0 (without Service Pack oder SP 4 or 5, all the same problem). We've experienced serious performance problems when deleting data that's spread over many tables connected by foreign keys. And every two weeks or so, our server (multiple-intances) has swapped itself to death (no more virtual memeory available). While excuting a long running delete script we could observe the following behaviour:

The task manager shows that of the 348 MB real RAM about 260 are free. The ORACLE73 process is producing page faults up to 1500 to 2500. The amount of virtual memory used is slowly but constantly growing.

When I try the same thing on my workstation (also NT 4.0, but Oracle Patch 7.3.4.4.1), I get the same behavior. And although I have only 128 MB real RAM, also about 90 MB get used (on my system about 40 MB of real memory are free). (About 90 MB is the same amount that is used on the server. I think that's suspicious.)

What are we doing wrong?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards i.A. Julia Paul

CLI-GmbH, Aachen, Matthiashofstr. 28-30, D-52064 Aachen Phone: +49 241 47051-0 Fax: +49 241 47051-89 eMail: J.Paul_at_cli.de Received on Fri Oct 22 1999 - 07:43:52 CDT