Online Backup

From: Roger Hunwicks <news1_at_tonic-solutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:14:39 +0100

We are considering using Oracle for a 24*7 OLTP application. The other main contender is probably DB2.

One of my colleagues has raised the following concern:

>From the work I have been involved in with SAP, I have major concerns
>over the practicality of using Oracle for true 24x7 operation. Oracle's
>On-line backup has a very detrimental impact it has on OLTP performance
>and has not been proposed by some SAP hardware vendors. Complex
>alternatives have been proposed based on having triple mirrored copies
>of the full production database and splitting one of these copies off a
>to provide a stable copy copied to tape. The time to split the mirror
>copies and re-sync (resilver) the mirror varies dramatically according
>to the disc sub system vendor.

Is this a recognised issue? And if it is, is it an issue on all databases, or only on particularly large ones? Can anyone give me an idea of how much performance degradation we should expect while running an on-line backup?

TIA Roger Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 17:14:39 CDT