Re: Viewing DBA_* tables

From: Gregory P Lechkun <lechkung_at_dteenergy.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:27:14 -0400

> Hanway wrote:
>I assume both $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql and catdbsyn.sql
were
>both run?
>
> David wrote:
>in essence you already have the answer, you need to either grant the
DBA
>role to the new account or, and this is safer, grant select access on
all
>the dba_* objects to the new account logged on as system.
>
>In no releases did automatic access to the dba_* views occur with new
>accounts, many sites however grant access to these tables to a role
commonly
>assigned to developers. eg Create a role of 'Developer_User' grant
select on
>the views to this and assign this role to anyone who might need to look
at
>the dba views. Alternatively you could grant access to an default role
like
>connect or resource.

Yes, catalog.sql was executed (I'm not sure if catdbsyn.sql was).

I suppose that's the source of my confusion, because catalog.sql creates public synonyms for those tables; however, it's up to the DBA to grant select on those tables or in our case, grant select any table privileges (I know, that's not a good privilege to hand out but, they're developers....).