Re: Need sample names.ora / listener.ora for IPC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:26:29 GMT

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:53:12 GMT, chrisoc_at_ans.net wrote:

>I'm not using Oracle Names. For 8.1.5 I would like
>to create another connection string to use for
>access by clients on the same box as the Solaris
>server.
>
>I am wading through tons of documentation 90%
>of which deals with setup of ONames. I have
>local and remote access working with TCP on
>port 1521.
>
>How can I simply add another "IPC" only connection
>? What is the meaning of that KEY= parameter?
>And will I need to do something special in the listener.ora
>or sqlnet.ora files, to support the new IPC connection?
>I think I've done way too much, and nothing works. I will
>know it works when I can shut the listener down, get on the
>server, and get to Oracle using the new connection string.
>
>Chris O'Connor
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

(Address=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=<any existing Oracle_SID>))

and that is really ALL.
BTW, you need only one IPC block for all your databases, having more IPC blocks can create havoc with OEM.
Another BTW: on the server your sqlnet.ora will need to have the line AUTOMATIC_IPC=ON
otherwise it still won't use it.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 10:26:29 CDT