Re: redo log duplexing question

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:52:17 GMT

Unix mirroring should be transparent to the application. The redo logs, and all other files for that matter, are referenced in Oracle by their mount points, ie. /oradata/logs/redo01.log etc. In a nutshell, Unix mirroring simply allocates multiple locations to service the same mount point, so the loss of the disk that the primary copy of the file resides on should not cause a problem for Oracle, as the secondary copy contains an exact copy of what was on the primary disk, mount-point reference and all.

So, to answer your question, I think it is a matter of preference whether you use disk mirroring or redo log multiplexing. I have setup systems both ways, and have not really seen a benefit of one over the other, although I haven't really done any benchmarking or other testing.  You don't need to do both, and yes you may see a performance degradation if you do.

HTH,
Roy

In article <380e0680.22405810_at_news.demon.nl>,   postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl (Sybrand Bakker) wrote:
> On 20 Oct 1999 13:51:21 -0400, buzzwang_at_churchill.ourvillage.com
> (David F. Newman) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> > I was once told in the backup and recovery
> >class that it is a good idea to
> >
> >1) Mirror the disk that redo logs sit on and
> >2) Duplex the redo logs themselves.
> >
> >So, essentially, each redo group exists on
> >four disks. I've been doing that but it has
> >come up that it might be a performance issue
> >writting to four locations for each redo group.
> >I honestly can't remember the reason for doing
> >both. Does one need to only do one or the
> >other? Thanks for any input.
> >
> >--
> >David F. Newman
> >Oracle DBA/Unix admin
> >dnewman_at_ourvillage.com
>
> I would prefer option 2)
> Oracle doesn't 'see' any hardware level mirroring, so if you loose
> that redo log file, it doesn't know about the existence of the mirror.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 09:52:17 CDT