Re: Specifying server on which to perform a query in a parallel system

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:06:18 GMT

In article <19991020232030.08543.00000204_at_ng-fj1.aol.com>,   mudasserz_at_aol.com (Mudasserz) wrote:
> Can I specify the server I want a query performed on in a Parallel
environment.

Your question is a little hard to answer because you do not clarify if your environment, i.e., OPS or exclusive with or without application servers. It appears you are talking about running a query under OPS on only a specific instance then the answer is no, as the query will run on the instance you connect to; however, it is possible to issue a connect to instance 2 from instance 1 and execute an SQL statement, which will then run on instance 2, and then re-connect back to instance 1. It is also possible to create and reference database links between the instances so you should be able to code SQL where every table is specified as being at a specific instance, but I am not sure Oracle will automatically ship the query to the desired (distributed) instance. There is a hint to control the driving instance for a distributed query and you may be able to use it along with links to force the behavior you want. I have not really tested this, but I have used links to merge information from the V$ tables of two OPS instances in versions 7.0 - 7.3 which you had to do before ver 8 and the gc views.

I hope this helps.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Oct 21 1999 - 09:06:18 CDT