Re: sql *plus

From: Joe Moore <moorejo_at_it.postoffice.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:11:50 +0100

Larry there may be a way in SQL*Plus but I don't know of it as I only use SQL*Plus for simple queries and to run scripts (uually one-off). What I do know is i would: Write a procedure in TOAD using one of the Oracle Defined Exceptions (e.g. TOO_MANY_ROWS, DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX, INVALID_NUMBER etc.) if you can -or- a USER-Defined Exception to trap the bad data, and process data according to your requirements.

Have you tried using TOAD (TOOL FOR ORACLE APPLICATION DEVELOPERS) - it used to be only shareware (free off the web) - NOW there are 2 versions - the deluxe version from www.quest.com Quest Software (with SQLab Tuner etc.) on 30 day trial (I'll leave you to work out logistics of use if you don't buy) -and- the still available more basic (but GOOD) shareware version from www.toadsoft.com .

WHAT IS TOAD?? : TOAD is an acronym for Tool for Oracle Application Development. TOAD was begun in 1995 (by a good altruistic chap in the USA) as a personal development aid and has grown to be used daily by many thousands of developers. There are similar tools on the market, but none can better TOAD's simple developer oriented interface, the author's attention to users.

So, what you must remember when evaluating TOAD or while using TOAD is that TOAD is first and foremost a developer's aid. The interface is simple by design. The features are either what I personally want in an Oracle tool or what TOAD users have requested. TOAD wasn't built on features that were "cool" or fun to implement; nor with an interface that looked "slick" since, generally, the slicker it looks, the worse it is to operate.

TOAD is much better than SQL*Plus for doing the sort of things you're doing below.

HTH Joe