Re: 8i (8.1.5) - Add Partitions to previously Non-Partitioned Table containing data ???

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:38:35 +0100

I am fairly sure that there is currently no way to do this - I did have a quick look to see if 'alter table move' will allow you to rebuild the table with partitioning clauses, but it doesn't.

You can do:

    create table .... partitioned ...... then

    alter new_table exchange partition XXX with old_table .... if your current table belongs in a single partition; this would be quicker than create as select.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk