Re: Question about imports

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:26:18 GMT

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:37:23 GMT, amerar_at_ci.chi.il.us wrote:

>Hello,
>
>An interesting question. When you do a full database export, it exports
>everything, tables,. constraints, indexes, procedures, functions, etc.
>
>When I then do a full import, how can I make it such that the object
>dependencies are not in error?
>
>For example, I have Table A with a foreign key in Table B. If the
>import brings in Table A first, the creation of the constraint will
>fail.

Oracle takes care of object dependencies when performing full import. I've never encountered a situation when creation of constraint would fail during full import due to inappropriate creation order.

>Likewise, if any procedures are brought in and compliled before the
>functions, they will probably fail too.....
>Can this be fixed?

Indeed, with PL/SQL objects and views there are occurrences when import ends leaving some of them in an invalid state. However you should not be too worried about this. Simply recompile them after the import or leave them as they are - they will automatically be recompiled when users first try to use them.

>Arthur
>amerar_at_ci.chi.il.us

HTH, Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 15:26:18 CDT