Re: What is the basic backup/reco strategy for db>500gb

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 20:23:49 +0800

duraisingh wrote:

> Hellow Gurus:
> We have planned to do a backup plan for D/W olap database of size >500gb
> in Hp 10.20.
> I want to know , if any one already had the exposure about this subject.
>
> What is the backup method?,
> which tool you are using ?,
> What is the duration of the cold bakup?.
> I know normally datawarehousing databases will be considered for cold
> backup only. What about exports?
> Have you ever taken export ? what is the size of the compressed export
> for a 500gb DB.
> Since our database is hooked up with internet reporting applications.
> So we can not give a very big downtime for cold backups.
>
> If you gurus can enlighten me in this matter, I will be greatful.
>
> John B Durai

Some options:

  1. read-only tablespaces - put the data that doesn't even change into read-only tablespaces ( you back these up once and you never have to do it again)
  2. source data backup - rather than backup the db, take backups of the data that is used to load the warehouse (once you've taken an initial backup)
  3. incremental backup (Oracle 8+) - less to backup but you still have to pass over every block in the database

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 07:23:49 CDT