Re: Oracle 8i wont launch properly under linux

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:26:09 GMT

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:37:56 GMT, Jose.Paumard_at_wanadoo.fr wrote:

>Hello,
>I installed Oracle 8i on Linux RH6, and everything ran nearly fine. Then
>I put a dbora file in /etc/rc.d/init.d, and declare it in rc5.d in order
>to launch Oracle automaticaly at startup.
>
>The problem is the following, it seems that Oracle is stuck in a
>curious state, where I cannot log on, start it or shut it down.
>
>When I launch sqlplus scott/tiger, I get the following error :
>Error 01033: init or shutdown in progress.
>The action the docs advises is just to wait a few minutes and try
>again. A few hours does not seem to be enough...
>
>Under oracle username, I launch svrmgrl, and type in :
>SVRMGRL> connect internal
>connected.
>SVRMGRL> shutdown
>ORA-01012: not logged on
>SVRMGRL> shutdown abort
>ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
>Any help will be *much* appreciated...
>
>Jose Paumard
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Try ps -ef | grep ora, that should provide you with

ora_dbwr_<sid>
ora_lgwr_<sid>
ora_smon_<sid>
ora_pmon_<sid>

etc.
If you have those processes, you may just as well kill them, and the instance will be properly aborted
If that is not true
go into svrmgrl
issue connect internal
issue startup nomount
and see what happens
this should run without problems, ALWAYS. The only thing it does is starting those processes above. then issue alter database open
and see what happens.
Preferably issue a spool <filename> before you issue the startup nomount
and post the file if you still have errors.

Good luck,

Sybrand Bakker, oracle dba

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 13:26:09 CDT