Re: Oracle 8i (NT), newbie stuff

From: F Joseph Kelley <jkelley_at_arches.uga.edu>
Date: 20 Oct 1999 15:26:05 GMT

This sounds good (heck, it sounds almost _too_ good). I will be installing a new 10g drive for this. Are there any recommended partitionings? Although this is NT Workstation, not server, I _try_ to keep the box reasonably organized. Is it recommended/common to set up a special userid to do this (I would assume it is in the Unix world, but NT is a bit more permissive in who can do what) (obviously, this will be in the "administrator" group). many thanks for the advice.   --Joe Kelley
    jkelley_at_arches.uga.edu

 Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote:
: You don't have to worry about any patches to install your Oracle 8.1.5 on an
: NT SP3 server. Since you are new, your best bet will be to first install
: Oracle and allow Oracle to create a sample database for you. That'll help
: you see where Oracle prefers to place things and what naming conventions it
: uses. And it will give you model tnsnames.ora, listener.ora and sqlnet.ora
: files. You'll also be able to see what settings have been added to your
: registry and where. You can always get rid of the sample database later,
: after you've created a few of your own. And for the first few you should
: use the GUI database creation assistant. It does a lot of the drudge work
: for you, runs the post-creation scripts and even stops and restarts the
: listener to accept your new settings.

: Van