Ora 8i migration problems

From: Tony Adolph <tony.adolph_at_viaginterkom.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:46:34 GMT

Hello All,

I am in the process of practicing an Oracle 8i migration from 7.3.4 on an NT4 server.

I am experiencing major problems. The GUI installs Ora 8 on your server and then asks you if you want to migrate one of the ora 7 databases it has detected to Ora 8. I select a database and allowed the GUI to continue. After 50 minutes or so (which seemed a bit quick for a 52 Gbyte db) it completed. I read all of the log files looking for errors, I noticed in the logs files references to the database I select and to another database on the same system. I found no errors though. When I tried to connect to the database I found it to be in an idle state. When I tried to start it I had errors about the control file, Oracle couldn't locate it. Not only could I not start the Ora 8 database, but I found that the MIG GUI had migrated another SID (ORCL) and this could not be started. Because I am practicing what I need to do on a live system I decided to rebuild the origonal database from backup and start again, but this time use the MIG tool manually.

This is where the real "fun" began. I recovered all of the datafiles, control files etc and changed the PATH so the the 0ra 7 execuatebles would be used. I attempted to recover the database and bring it back up (something I have done a dozen times before with this database and these particular datafiles as its used all the time for testing). When I try to startup the Oracle service for this SID I got the message:
"Could not start OracleServicePINP service on \\<host_name>\
Error 0002: The system cannot find the file specified".

There is no actual file name in the error message and none in the event viewer.

I decided to reinstall Ora 7 after removing all Oracle registry entries.

After a successful installation of 7.3.4 I tried again. Same error in when trying to startup the PINP service, but I could start the ORCL service (which I guess had just been recreated). Mainly out of curiosity I tried to connect to it to this Sid. After a succesful
"connect internal" I get the following error:
svgrmg23> startup pifile=<path name to pfile> LCC-00161: Oracle error (possible syntax error) paramter [NULL] ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.

A lot of waffle here folks, sorry. But has anyone any ideas on how I can get my original Ora 7 database back up and running, and what do these error messages mean? Has anyone actually succeeded with the migration tool where there are multiple databases on the one server? (I cant use export/import to upgrade to 8 as 52Gbytes requires an unexceptable downtime).

Any constructive help would be much appreciated.

Tony Adolph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 05:46:34 CDT