Connecting to Instance from Client machine - newbe question

From: MLJ <dinyar_ghyara_at_exchange.japan.ml.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:37:08 +0900

Hi,
We have a Oracle 7.3.4 server.
I am trying to setup a client machine to connect to this instance. The client is a unix box.

I have setup the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora I have setup ORACLE_SID
and exported it.
I can connect using sqlplus as system@$ORACLE_SID When i try to connect with sqlplus, without specifying the $ORACLE_SID, I get the message
ERROR: ORA-12545: TNS:name lookup failure

I have installed,
Oracle Names 2.0.4.0.0
Oracle Unix Installer 4.0.1.0
Oracle JDBC Driver 7.3.4.0
Pl/Sql v2 2.3.4.0.0

Pro*C 2.2.4.0.0
SQL*Module for C 1.1.5.0.0
SQL*Net (v2) 2.3.4.0.0
SQL*Plus 3.3.4.0.1

Tcp/Ip Protocol Adapter (v2)
Server Manager (Motif) 2.3.4.0.0
Does anyone have any clues about this
thanks
dinyar Received on Wed Oct 20 1999 - 02:37:08 CDT