Re: Float versus number

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:15:10 GMT

In article <01bf19b7$b42fbc00$e401010a_at_FRANK>,   "Frank Calfo" <fcalfo_at_psateam.com> wrote:
> If I define a column as "float" will it take up any more space than
if I
> declare it as number (11,4) ?
>
> Is "float" one of those datatypes that should be used only when
absolutely
> necessary or can it be used without too much grief?

Oracle stores all numbers internally as type number, i.e., in scientific notation per the Concepts manual. Use of type float does affect the value range that can be entered into the column for its size which may be different than the value range for the same column if declared as type number.

There is a bug in version 8 one what values are allowed in a float as conpared to version 7. I believe that version 8.1 restores the version 7.3 behavior.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Oct 19 1999 - 14:15:10 CDT