Re: Difference between 'Database' and 'Tablespace'?

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:02:05 -0400

Jack wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I'm new to Oracle, I don't know the difference between 'Database' and
> 'Tablespace'. Please tell me the answer ?

An Oracle database is a *named* data repository which logically consists of a Data Dictionary, a set of database objects described in the Data Dictionary (tables, indexes, users, etc.) & a set of logical, named storage areas called tablespaces. Physically the database conisist of one (or more) Control Files (each of which describes the entire database), a set of two or more online redo log files (to record changes made to the database objects, like rows being added or updated) & a set of database files that provide storage for the named tablespaces. Each Oracle database has at least one tablespace, called SYSTEM -- it stores the Data Dictionary (a set of tables owned by userid "SYS") & the SYSTEM rollback segment (to record un-committed changes to the Data Dictionary.)

Hope that helps...
--

Vincent Ventrone    |  The MITRE Corp.
DBA, Dept. R101     |  M/S C020