Re: Oracle / HP / Multiple Processors.

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_westpac.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 18:18:46 +1000

Hi,
Well, it all depends on two things:

  1. How many queries do you run simultaneously? There are two extreme cases: (1) you run one query only: in this case adding more CPUs will have no effect. (2) You run many queries: each one will run faster.
  2. Do you use Paralle Query (Oracle7) or Parallel DML (Oracle8)? If Yes, then additional CPUs will speed up the query even if it is the only job on the box.

Regards,
Sev